Finance & Administration/Office of Human Resources
- Plan, supervise, coordinate and carry out a full range of payroll accounting tasks.
- Compile, verify and clarify all information needed for payroll processing for each pay period including pay rate changes, deduction changes, new hires, terminations, overtime pay calculations, etc.
- Determines payroll liabilities by approving the calculation of employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and employer's social security, unemployment, and workers compensation payments.
- Process the employee payroll, including the signing and organizing of checks for pick-up, distribution or mailing, and authorizing of direct deposit payments by banks.
- Work with the Business Office to prepare payroll-related journal entries, and perform a variety of account balancing and reconciliation tasks including resolving payroll discrepancies.
- Coordinate or carry out the preparation of payroll-related government reports and records, such as quarterly reports, W 2/W 4 forms, and any others requested. This would include one-time requests and/or quarterly reports. Examples include: State of NH, MA wages, MA Unemployment reporting and Federal 941.
- Provide payroll information to insurance and government auditors.
- Compile payroll-related data for a variety of regular and special reports and to fill faculty and staff requests for banks, credit agencies, schools, and other organizations which require employment and income verifications.
- Coordinate updates of payroll software as needed with the Information Technology department.
- Manage, train and oversee the University’s electronic timeclock TimeMatrix
- Resolve problems with IRS.
- Organize and maintain various files and records related to payroll accounting functions, such as cancelled checks, timesheets, personnel action forms, contracts, deduction authorizations, and the like.
- Maintains payroll guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Deal regularly with banks, government agencies, outside auditors, and others outside the University regarding payroll matters.
- Complies with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Provides payroll information by answering questions and requests.
- Related duties as assigned.
- The ability and willingness to support the Mission of the University; and to work collaboratively and collegiately
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or other appropriate discipline, plus 3 to 5 years of relevant accounting/bookkeeping experience, or a combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills are acquired.
- Knowledge of general accounting/bookkeeping principles and methods, with directly related payroll experience and/or previous University accounting experience.
- Good analytical/problem-solving skills and math skills.
- Relevant training/experience in use of computerized information systems. Strong skills in use of standard PC-based business applications, particularly spreadsheet software. Knowledge of Great Plains a big plus!
- Strong data entry and other general clerical/office skills.
- Ability to interact with faculty and staff in a courteous, efficient and discreet manner, regarding highly sensitive and confidential financial matters and to work cooperatively with other University administrative offices, as well as banks and other outside organizations/agencies
Interested individuals are invited to apply. And, while we appreciate every applicant’s interest, only those under consideration will be contacted. Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter stating pay expectations, resume or CV and the names of 3 professional references to email@example.com or Office of Human Resources, Rivier University, 420 South Main Street, Nashua NH 03060. No agencies please. EOE.