International Students

F1 Student Services

Obtaining a Driver’s License in New Hampshire 
All international students are required to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles at 10 Hazen Drive, Concord, NH 03305 to apply for a New Hampshire driver’s license.

You will need to bring the following documents:

  • letter from the International Student Advisor verifying F-1 full time status
  • a copy of SEVIS Form I-20
  • passport (with the visa page and I-94)
  • International Driver's license from home country
  • Letter that certifies a good standing driving history from home country

Please allow 48 hours to prepare the requested letter.

Obtaining a Social Security Number 
The student should apply in person to the Office of Social Security Administration and must be an active F-1 student; this means being registered full time and having an active record on SEVIS. The following documents are required for the social security application:

  • SEVIS Form I-20
  • passport with I-94 and visa
  • download and complete the social security application (Form SS-5) at 
  • on-campus or other work agreement
  • letter of verification of status from your International Student Advisor (please notify International Student Advising Office 24 hours in advance to issue this letter)

For more information on obtaining a social security number, please stop by International Student Advising Office for assistance or contact us at (603) 897-8781.

NOTE: If you changed status to F-1, allow 14 days from the date of the I-797 Approval Notice before applying for a social security number. If you just recently entered the United States of America, make sure that your SEVIS record is active before applying for a social security number. For this, you need to contact the Advising Office at ISS, schedule an appointment and prepare a copy of your proof of full time registration.

Income Tax Information 
All F-1 students must comply with the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) requirements by April 15 of every year. F-1 students must file Form 8843 even if they did not work during the year. If a student has been employed, the student will receive a W-2 form from an employer by January 30. Do not throw this form away, as it must be filed with the appropriate income tax form, usually the 1040NREZ. Forms and IRS Publication 901 are available at the IRS website: 

Commencement Invitations: 
Invitation letters to the students' family members who wish to attend commencement events can be requested with our International Student Advisor. We will need personal information such as their first and last names, dates of birth and relationships to the student. If you need assistance about any of the above services, please contact the Office of Global engagment at (603) 897-8782 or visit the International Student Services office located in Memorial Hall, Room 120.

Email-F-1ISS Welcome HandbookPre-Arrival Guide