First Steps to Plan Your Study Abroad Adventure:
If you are thinking of participating in any of the study abroad programs
offered at Rivier University and its partners, you should begin your planning
- Check your eligibility
Eligible students must be in good academic and disciplinary standing in order to participate in any study abroad programs.
You need at least a GPA of 2.8 to study abroad. One more reason to do well in your studies; GPA requirements are firm and
there are no exceptions. Meet with the Financial Aid Counselor to check if you are eligible for Financial Aid for study abroad programs.
- Start the process
Our programs are diverse and distinct, and it takes a little work to determine which one is the best fit for you and your
global goals. Here are a couple of points to help you think about which program might be best:
- Research the different locations. The OGE has a resource center that includes guide books, information on how to travel cheaply,
making the most of your study abroad experience, and much more. Videos are readily available on YouTube as well.
- Meet with an OGE team member. Every member of the OGE team can help you think about the different study abroad locations, show you
online videos, course selections, and syllabi from the host institutions.
- Attend a general study abroad information session. The OGE presents the River University study abroad program several times each semester.
Check with the team to find out when the next information session is.
- Talk to your academic advisor or faculty advisor. Your advisors can help you think about how different programs will help you graduate.
Every academic program can include a study abroad experience, though some take more planning than others. Nursing is the most difficult, as the
academic program is very specific. But remember, you can also do summer courses at all of our study abroad sites.
- Apply for a Passport. All students going abroad will need a valid passport for at least 6 months with two open pages. If you do not have a
current passport, you should apply for one as soon as possible. Please note that there are certain countries that will not issue a visa or allow
you to enter the country if your passport is set to expire within 120 days or when you expect to return from abroad.
Visit http://travel.state.gov/passport for more information.
Once you have been approved of your plan to study abroad, apply with Office of Global Engagement and complete the application requirements.
- Application for Approval to Study Abroad
- $50 non-refundable application fee
- Essay explaining why you would like to participate in study abroad program of your choice
After a couple of weeks, you will be receiving an invitation for a mandatory pre-departure orientation session. You must attend and submit the
following documents at that time:
- Travel Abroad Acknowledgement and Release Form
- Medical Emergency Contact Form
- Mandatory Emergency Contact Information (abroad)
- Certificate of Insurance