In spring 2015, the University launched an Alumni Mentor Program. This program provides early exposure to career options and professional network building for current Rivier students. The program was featured in the spring issue of Rivier Today, the magazine of Rivier University. Click here to read “From College to Career: Making Connections.”
Interested in becoming an Alumni Mentor?
Alumni who wish to be considered for the program are invited to submit a professional resume to the Office of University Advancement and Alumni Relations. Please complete our Alumni Career Mentor form to ensure we have your current personal and employer information. Check the box that you would like to be considered for the Alumni Mentor Program and attach your resume. A member of the Office of University Advancement and Alumni Relations will contact you to discuss your interest in the program.
Role of the Mentor
New Alumni Mentors will participate in an orientation program and will receive recommendations for participation, as well as roles and responsibilities.
For a successful mentoring partnership, the mentor and the mentee will understand each other’s goals and expectations.
- Get to know your mentee and his/her academic and career goals
- Be supportive and encouraging—offer advice and suggestions that guide your mentee toward their goals
- Share your professional experiences
- Encourage professionalism and leadership behavior
- Offer real-life opportunities for networking and professional growth
- Stay connected with your mentee between meetings
- Be an active listener
- Be prepared, ask questions, and engage in meaningful conversations
- Take advantage of networking and other career-building opportunities
- Follow through on program commitments
- Treat this as a professional relationship and act accordingly
- Consider the mentor a resource and solicit his/her advice
For additional information, please contact the Office of University Advancement and Alumni Relations at (603) 897-8665.